June 19, 2011

Family Revisited.


I think I feel safest when my family is all in the same place. Same city, same room, same booth at a restaurant - whatever that same place is, I like it. We're all together, talking, laughing, usually eating, and I can relax a little. My brothers are probably telling us some sort of fact or making a smart aleck comment, Mom is making a joke, Dad is taking pictures of his food, and I'm failing miserably in a desperate attempt to make someone in my family laugh.

Never. They never, ever laugh.

Well, never with me. At me, maybe.

And I sit back and watch the chaos.

This weekend my parents came down and stayed with us for Father's Day. We did a little bit of everything and certainly ate a lot of everything. And as usual, on a weekend that was supposed to be about my parents, we were the ones that were spoiled. They arrived with a carload of furniture, various groceries and even expensive toilet paper (10 rolls each!). It's a hot commodity in our family, you see.

I would share more highlights, but they are not fit for women and children to read.

So thank you, God, for my family, quirks and all. We may be highly inappropriate and not make sense to an outsider, but we're a pretty fun package, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

No comments: