June 13, 2008

Kyla goes green


Now, don't start judging and assume I've turned into a hippy. That's simply not so. I'm not going to attach solar panels to my computer. I'm not going to reduce the amount of toilet paper I use. However, my job has required a lot of environmental research and I have been bombarded with enough green facts over the past three weeks that I'm starting to feel like Al Gore and Leo DiCaprio's love child. This has made me think about my own actions and I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty irresponsible.

There are some that completely disregard the planet and the consequences of their actions. You know the type-- they rev their SUV's engines just for the heck of it, they pull up in front of their apartment and, instead of taking their trash into the house, throw it under the car...I could go on and on.

But then there are extremists on the other side of the spectrum. They spend an inordinate amount of time protesting in trees, they make their clothes out of recycled newspapers...kooky stuff like that.

I like to think I've found myself tucked somewhere in the middle. My actions haven't completely caught up with my good, green intentions, but I really am going to try to make a more conscious effort to be a better global citizen. I don't know how true the facts about global warming are. I don't know how much longer the oil reserves will last. I don't even know if some species of birds are really worth all of the effort to save. But I do know that it doesn't hurt to make some small changes that can only help make the air cleaner, my body healthier, and my (limited) bank account stay a little fatter.

Therefore, I pledge to do the following*:

1. Turn my fan off during the day. I sleep with a fan on. I'm not going to change that, it's one of my favorite things. Ever. Probably even more than fruit gushers. But there's no reason I can't go over and shut it off when I wake up in the morning. Same goes with lights. In fact, unplugging isn't a bad idea at all. I've read somewhere that energy is used whenever something is plugged in, regardless of whether or not it's on.

2. Walk to campus/Kirkwood when possible. There are just some times when I'll have to drive, and I'm fine with that. I'll have to drive when it's raining, when conditions are arctic-like, when I'll be coming home too late to catch a bus, and when I can't sweat. But there are a lot of times when I just need to run on and I don't need to turn the car on to do so. I walk home here every night, and it takes over an hour. Getting to and from campus takes less time than that.

3. I will throw my trash in the trash can. This doesn't really do much to save the Earth or reduce waste, but it keeps it from ending up in my front yard, a bird's throat or the paws of a raccoon who might want to ''give it a whirl.''

4. I will reuse grocery bags. I think it's a proven scientific fact that the average American has, at any given time, approximately 400 plastic grocery bags hidden under their sink, in the laundry room or shoved in a drawer somewhere. It's a little tacky to do so, I suppose, but there's no reason not to take your bags back and reuse them at the grocery store. I think they have a name for this sort of behavior over here-- it's called a 'no-brainer.'

5. I will hang dry my clothes whenever possible. At home, Mom and Dad love to hang towels to dry on the line. I hate the resulting scratchy feeling, but it makes a lot of sense. They aren't paying to run the dryer, and it probably makes the towels last a little longer. I can do the same with a lot of my clothes. *NOTE: This action may improve mental health, as well, as it eliminates clothes shrinking, a major contributor to an overwhelming number of depression cases.*

There are about 2.65 million other things I could do, but I'm taking baby steps. I think you should think about your actions, as well. If not for the environment, for yourself. Walking more than you drive can only help you (unless you live somewhere like Compton...in which case, please drive...and lock your doors), making both your heart and your checkbook healthier. I challenge you to make a small list of five changes you can make, as well, and really try to adhere to them.

*Conditions subject to change once I return to the States and my fuel-, efficiency-driven life.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Kyla dear,

Remember that time we drove our asses out to the recycling plant and it was closed? How the hell am I supposed to help save the earth when they don't have convenient hours that please customers? It's Business 101. Please the consumer.

Secondly, I walked to class every day and you always gave me shit about it. We are talking about 10-15 minutes, maybe 20 for you. Not a big deal. Just want to go ahead and for the record say, "I told you so."

And I keep grocery bags and reuse them. But I reuse them as trash bags, which leads to more trash so therefore, it's counter-productive I think.

Also, you are only walking an hour to work because you have to. Necessity is the mother of invention...or wait, necessity makes you do stupid ass things like walk an hour a day. When you come back to the States you will drive 5 minutes even when you are used to walking an hour because YOU CAN. Besides, it's one of the greatest benefits of being American. We do what we want, with complete disregard for other people or this so-called "Earth" you keep mentioning.

Sarah said...

Kyle.

This is sarah and I'm a bit distraught that I am just now discovering your blog, and that we haven't talked in so long.

We made it to Barcelona, yay! I hope London is treating you well. Talk to you soon.

Love you. Cheers!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

If it pleases the court I'd like to state that for my 3 years in school at Bloomington I did not take the bus ONCE in the final two years. I walked from the Stadium or Bryant Park daily, sometimes more than once. I also don't litter. As you may know I'm a big nature hiking fan. I would gladly recycle if the bastards would pick up in my neighborhood. But if I have to spend MY money on gas to drive to the recycling center...well that defeats the whole point doesn't it?

But Kyla I cannot agree more. I will not turn my fan off when I sleep. The day I do that it means the terrorists have won.

--Cockney--

If it pleases the court I'd like ter state that for me 3 years in school at Bloomington I did not take the bus ONCE in the final two years. I walked from the Stadium or Bryant Park daily, sometimes more than once. I also don't litter. As yer may know I'm bloody well a big nature 'ikin' fan. I would gladly recycle if the chuffin' bastards would pick up in me neighborhood. Right. But if I 'ave ter spend MY brass on gas ter drive ter the recyclin' center...well that defeats the chuffin' 'oole point don't it?

But Kyla I cannot agree more. I will not turn me fan off wen I sleep. The bloomin' day I do that it means the terrorists 'ave won.

no said...

I'm sure you've heard of them by now...but while you're in London you should check out the container house neighborhoods. Apparently they're really into making homes out of old cargo containers from barges -- which is very green. I think you should find some and skulk around taking pictures...

Yeah, I too am resolved to keep my fan on when I sleep...but some day, perhaps, I will let this go...

-Siera

Megan said...

you would.

Anonymous said...

"Container houses?"

Hey. In America we call those people homeless!

Carrie said...

I didn't intend to sound so harsh. Save the earth, Kyla. I'll cheer you on.