June 26, 2014

Fried pickles + mimosas.

The girls needed a catch up, badly, so we piled into a booth at Folk Art to do it over brunch.


Those chicken and waffles, though.


Between work, travel, moving, and the general buzz of life, the trio hadn't seen one another since our romp in New Orleans.

Folk Art is a quirky little diner-style restaurant in Atlanta's Inman Park neighborhood. They serve drinks in mason jars and the menu features things like "whiskey peach compote." Mel, fresh off a morning antique run, obviously loved the vintage signs covering the walls. 




I was more enamored with what was sitting in front of us, on our plates. 

Appetizers, my friends, are not longer just acceptable at dinner.

We started with fried pickles + buttermilk ranch and sweet potato beignets. Something salty, something sweet. 


That horrible picture is exactly why I need (want?) a new camera, although I'm not sure it's possible to make the beignets look glamorous. 

You saw Mel's chicken and waffles (or "Foul Play") above. Meet my huevos rancheros, my go-to dish.


Cass went with the roasted pork and chili verde. Muy delicioso! 


I love to travel. I love exploring a new place and meeting new people. But I might like long, lingering, weekend meals with friends the most, and the promise of many, many more of these is keeping me grounded for now.

I went to a lovely housewarming party last week and took oatmeal cream whoopee pies. Y'all know I'm no genius in the kitchen, so when I was asked if I have a bakery, I knew this recipe was a winner.


Mark it. Try them.


During the party, I snuck away for dessert alone on the quiet front porch. Someday, I will have a front porch with giant ferns spilling over their planters and comfy, cushiony chairs and fans humming overhead and mason jars covered in condensation, full of sweet tea.


This post has fixated itself on eating and being outdoors, hasn't it? On that note, I've been dining al fresco as often as possible. Leon's in Decatur has a phenomenal patio for doing just that.







Tammy (from my London + Paris adventures) and I celebrated my one year anniversary in Atlanta with surf...


...and turf. 


I'm a big fan of turf.


Melissa and I celebrated making it to the end of the work week with Mexican pizza, which we didn't enjoy as much as we could have because of the four baskets of chips we shamelessly (but gracefully) inhaled beforehand.

Surely we're not the only ones with this problem?


Lately, it's all about celebrating the small victories. Any excuse to get together, talk, and focus on the good - both the good in our lives and good food - is just fiiiine by me.

Just fine. 

No comments: