August 21, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again.

Per Dad's request (a text that said "I hope your blogging finger heals soon"), I will attempt to entertain you.

(ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? Name that movie.)

  • While helping my cousin move into the dorms today, an RA said, "So, is this your first year?" I said, "Yes. Of grad school." I suppose this should be similar to the joy of being carded that many middle-aged women experience, but it wasn't that joyful, just affirmation that my looks haven't progressed much since moving in six years ago, when I had braces and wore too much Abercrombie and Fitch.
  • My uncle also told said RA that I was single and looking for a man. To which said RA replied, "I'm in a relationship, but I appreciate the offer." To which said uncle said to said RA, "Well here's your chance to trade up." I told him that if he played his cards right, my uncle might even throw in a goat or two.
  • Speaking of awkward family moments, here's a little gem from the King archives: Growing up, we frequently played board games as a family and had a rule that the losers had to kiss the winners after each game. Here's where it gets a little cringe-worthy: winners had to lie on their backs, face up, in a row, and losers went down the line and kissed them. On the lips. A tradition I might not be passing down. Maybe. We'll see.
  • Orientation for my grad program was this week, and I survived multiple icebreakers. Forget anesthetics, icebreakers are my biggest fear. Especially ones that make you think fast. I'm not good at it, it gets messy, I get embarrassed, it's awkward for everyone...
  • Carrie and her boyfriend Matt stayed with me last night after a wedding. Matt has a fascination with the Midwest's fascination with cheese and ranch dressing. He honestly believes, given the choice, a Midwesterner would pick a cup of ranch over saving their mother's life, and their mother would be screaming, "For God's sake, choose the ranch!" from the gallows. This might be a not-so-far stretch because dang, ranch is good stuff, and right now we have four different kinds of cheese in our fridge, and that's really about all, and I am content.
  • I led a group of Chinese students around Bloomington for a scavenger hunt and they were just little darlings. I was especially proud of Hank, who caught on very quickly as was able to correctly identify the stoned gentlemen yelling at us about the evils of Starbucks as "hippies" in a matter of minutes. Next week I hope to cover "hipsters".
  • You might be thinking I used the name "Hank" to protect aforementioned student. In fact, I did not. Many students pick American names when they come to the U.S., and Hank chose his moniker. I also met a Dennis, a Gates and a Honey.
  • "Ni hao" is "Hello" in Chinese, pronounced "nee how". You can't say I never taught ya nothin.
  • Sally gets back from Dallas tonight! Praise the Lord.
  • Lizzie starts working at the OIS tomorrow! Praise the Lord twice.
  • I have clean sheets into which I can crawl! Praise the Lord thrice.
  • Good night, world.

3 comments:

ns said...

gladiator.

Carrie said...

he's such a babbler. thanks for putting up with us.

Lizzie said...

"You might be thinking I used the name "Hank" to protect aforementioned student. In fact, I did not."