May 24, 2011

NYC.

Well, if you're reading this, you've made it through 5/21's predicted rapture. I'm not sure whether I should say "Congrats" or "Sorry about that...".

In NYC for a about six days (is that a short or long trip?) and so far, it's been magical. Kristi from IU is playing host and we're doing a lot of walking, eating, talking about Jesus (was he funny? stocky?), and disputing the "take a room full of unmarried Christians, put the guys on one side, the girls on the other, number them off, and marry them" idea older, happily married Christians seem to love.

Kristi hasn't changed. She lives above a Chipotle, she was eating Chipotle when I arrived, and she closed her eyes while we were eating pizza yesterday. She thinks heaven will smell and sound like opening a can of Coke, and she uses the term "super holy" to describe boys she has a crush on. Love her, I do.

I've asked everyone for suggestions for things to do while here, and so far the top award goes to Sally: carrot cake cheesecake from Junior's in Times Square. Holy buckets.

Related, they post calorie counts on everything here. Not that it matters, because most everyone seems to be an actor or model and has, I assume, a diet consisting of cigarettes and caffeine, but for tourists like myself and Kristi "I'm-in-a-relationship-with-Chipotle" Oloffson, it's confusing. I'm assuming the point is to push you away from the bad things, but it's hard not to see it as a challenge. You'll take the 6-piece chicken nuggets for 690 calories? I will up you one, sir, and take the 8-piece for 920 calories.

It's noon and Kristi and I are sitting across from each other, in our pjs, eating cold, leftover pizza and talking on gchat. Maybe the world did end - this feels pretty heavenly.

2 comments:

Sally Hubbert said...

i am so so proud (p.s. i'm sure you were torn between the carrot cake and the devil's food cheesecakes--never fear the carrot cake is better)

Carrie said...

maybe Kristi should date Matt. he loves Chipotle more than anyone in the world. I'm not sure if I would describe him as "super holy" but he is a Catholic.