May 3, 2011

Adieu.

Katie's gone. Moved out. Moved on. It's my first day without her. I don't think I've realized it yet, thanks to the power of the text message, but it will set in soon enough. She's onto better things. A better future. Probably a better roommate. One that doesn't put unrinsed dishes in the dishwasher and cook fish.


I suppose I should write a sappy goodbye post about how much she's meant to me over the past year and a half. About how I can't imagine having done this Dallas thing without her. About how she's absolutely ruined me for the future and I'll never be able to live with anyone else as easily as I have lived with her. About how our Friday nights at home have been my favorites (except for that one night...downtown...). About how I want to marry her husband's best friend so that we can go on family vacations together and spend holidays at the kitchen sink together. About how I'll miss her blueberry muffins but not her banana pudding. About how much I like that grocery shopping together just became habit. About how she always lets me pick the movie we watched. About how she's the only person around me that gets that I want surgery. About how she somehow manages to take the least flattering pictures of me I've ever seen. About how she treasures my mix tapes more than anyone else ever will. About how she listens to the same songs over and over with me. About how she listens to the same stories over and over from me. About how she tolerates the same rants over and over by me. About how she is the sole source of the nine love touches I need every day.


About how I hope this grad school business is just a quick two-year dream and then we'll wake up and start another adventure together.


About how she just gets me and I don't have to explain why I am like I am or why I do what I do or why I think like I think.


About how at a time when there are a million decisions to make, and everyone else seems to be settling down with the other half I'm not ready for yet, she has been that other half for all of the times when I didn't even realize I need someone, and we just settled in, side-by-side, doing life together.




Luckily, I'm visiting her in three weeks. So I don't have to write that goodbye yet.


LYLASW.

No comments: