December 15, 2008

A Different Kind of Christmas List

Lauren and I are watching MTV's The Hills, our weekly indulgence, and we try to pretend we're as fabulous as them. Except we are sitting around in sweats, eating bowls on cinnamon toast crunch, so we know we aren't. But we do know we aren't as messed up as them because we are able to offer the occasional psychoanalytic comment when the characters (excuse me, "real" people) do something particularly stupid.

For instance, in response to Spencer, "He's only like that when it's just the two of them because he doesn't feel like he has to compete," and then, when he proposes while she's clearly not in the state of mind to make a decision, "What a mature, confident guy, waiting until she's drunk to propose. This is something she'll really be happy about in the morning." And then we couldn't stop musing about how much Whitney's new love interest Jay looks like Barry Gibb. It's that lush, feathery hair.

Enough about that. I realized I've been posting way too much about last year's overseas escapades, and it probably looks like I have an unhealthy obsession with that time in my life (I do) and that I can't really get over it (I can't) and that I don't want to try to move on (I really have no desire to do so); however, to keep from driving you, dear reader, crazy, I am going to refrain from all talk about traveling. Done. Over.

So...let's see...what to talk about...well, it's cold outside. Christmas is in just over a week. Oh! I know. You've probably noticed I have another obsession: making lists. I make lists about everything: things I like, things I hate, things I have done, things I want to do...they're just so satisfying. 

So here is my list of things to do over break:

1. Read The Princess Bride, Pride and Prejudice (for the millionth time), The Four Loves, and anything else I find time to do.
2. Bake and cook and fry and saute and the whole shebang. Curry chicken, sugar cookies, thin mints, paglia e fieno and anything else I might crave.
3. Paint my toenails. They haven't been touched since my birthday in October, and they need it. Desperately.
4. Build my running tolerance past the one-mile I've currently reached. I was easily pushing 45 minutes this summer, and I've been a lazy bum this semester. It's time to feel the pain.
5. Clean out my closet. Momma's been begging me to do so for years, and I've put it off for just as long. I suppose it's time.

Episode's almost over-- gotta go:)

3 comments:

Jon M Bishop said...

Kyla, I'm certainly not going to be reading the princess bride during my break!

I've started a new cartoon series on my blog, www.jonin60seconds.com so you can add to your list to read Jon's daily cartoon, and spread the love about it!

no said...

you should probably make a list of future blogging topics :-)

Unknown said...

I didn't see "visit my cousins" on your list!