April 25, 2014

London (The End).

I've been a bad little blogger, but life is just buzzing, buzzing along, good enough I haven't wanted to stop to reminisce.

But things are starting to get blurry, so it's probably time. The last few days in London were lovely, but a bit like a Sunday: an underlying uneasiness because you know you have to go back to real life very soon. 

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.  

Trafalgar Square after a visit to the Monet room in The National Gallery



I could stand this view forever, I think
We made a lucky discovery in the final days of our trip. I insisted we visit Harrods because I like to get lost among the legendary department store's make-up counters before sneaking upstairs, via the Egyptian escalator, to touch Valentino gowns. This time, though, I was summoned by the siren call of the food halls, where we discovered, by chance, that they mark a number of things down by half towards the end of the evening! Pastries and pad thai and prosciutto and (hallelujah!) more macaroons.

Harrods, calling me home

Pies upon pies

En route, T got a special surprise from above when a passing bird...did his business on her. Y'all, the impact was enough that I heard it hit her arm.


I insisted we press on, so we did a quick wash + dry using the store's bathroom sink and hair dryer. In the meantime, she sported this. THIS. Quite proudly, I might add.

Bitty K in flannel chic

Post-Harrods, we made our way back to our cruise ship cabin - err, apartment - to feast on the spoils of our excursion and watch an English version of "Hoarders." You see? We're not so different, those Brits and us.

On Friday morning we woke up, saw the sun, and promptly declared it a "no tube day." We didn't bother trying to look chic. Note T's tights/shorts combo. I didn't even bother with shorts. All the better to soak up the glorious sunshine during a bike ride through Hyde Park on the public, for-rent "Boris bikes" accessible all over the city. You rent, ride, and return them to any parking dock.

My sugar momma renting the bikes

One of the parking docks

T

Note the excellent form, developed from years of pony riding

One of the many paths through Hyde Park

#PrinceGeorgeliveshere

 Post-ride, we stopped at a Whole Foods. Just because.

London Whole Foods

Noticeably missing from the salad bar dressing selection: Ranch

T wanted fish and chips for lunch, so we ducked into a pub. I went with the BBQ nachos, which is NEVER a good idea anywhere outside of Texas. Does this picture make it look appealing? I didn't even attempt to filter out the ugly.


Our journey paused for a moment of reverence at the U.S. Embassy, which has yet to make it out of the 70s.

A quick stop to pay tribute to 40.

At that point, we caved and caught the tube to Kilburn Park, the flat where I lived with seven other girls in 2008 (but more famously known for being the scene of the infamous "panty-snatcher" incident). I was happy to see that the area is on the up swing, although the corrugated tin church near the tube stop still stands, making you think you're on an impoverished Caribbean island for the slightest minute.

Some of the finest real estate in all of London!

This was followed by a walk around the neighborhood recreational grounds, probably my favorite place in London. A huge, green field surrounded by a running path, trees and athletic courts, and full of happy people going about life: children running around in uniforms, mums chatting away in groups, boys of all ages playing football... I used to spend almost every evening running around this park, listening to Pete Yorn and trying to figure out who I wanted to be. I conquered my first 45-minute run in this park, and I'd have been shocked if you'd told me I'd be doing half-marathons not much later.

Paddington Recreational Grounds

Sweet Brit bébé

I honestly have no idea how the day ended. Rest assure there was food - perhaps more Harrods? - and more terrible British TV. There was a stop for juice at a quirky little shop we found in a side street.



 Saturday was our last full day, and we had one thing planned:









Rhubarb is not available in Georgia, so I used this as a chance to educate T on a staple from my youth











Portobello Road's offerings extend beyond food; although, what else do you need? I'll tell you what: studded clutches, gas masks, and antique letter presses. 


Post-apocolyptic chic

More findings

The walk back to the tube stop was beautiful - London was in full bloom, showing off for us.

What do you get when you plant kisses? Tulips!




*Wink*

Late afternoon tube rush. It's charming, I promise.

We purchased nothing on Portobello Road, believe it or not. Neither one of us withdrew cash during the entire trip, and since most of the vendors take only cash, we weren't tempted.

Back at the flat, we took a quick post-Portobello shower and then left for our last (only) night on the town, ending up at the same pub along the river at which I've now started a punch card. Joking, of course - it's not that tacky.

L came back to bid me farewell and I was thrilled that she brought along Z, a friend from LA in town for just a few days. We swapped stories and laughed about the summer we all spent together in the SoCal sunshine, wearing ridiculous costumes to themed parties, eating take-out, and shaking the sand out of our shoes. L is just brilliant and Z is an absolute a doll.

L, K, and Z

This is one of the few pictures T and I have together, and my last of the week. My favorite memory from the entire trip occurred on the way home that night. Without going into too muchdetail, I will just (proudly) say that I coerced a handful of English boys into chanting "USA!" in a crowded tube car.

Now. Now I've peaked.

T + K

We left on Sunday - just late enough that we could enjoy a leisurely brunch in Chelsea - and arrived home at 8 p.m. local time.  I sat next to a the Zac Brown Band's guitar tuner on the way home, quite literally crawled into bed, and spent the next few days meeting up with friends to swap stories about the past week over dinner. 

I surprised C and M with tube maps and then made them race to find obscure tube stops I'd call out. Elephant & Castle! Cockfoster! Who says souvenirs have to be expensive? 



Going to new places is lovely, isn't it?





2 comments:

Lizzie said...

perfect.

Cassie said...

so glad blogger kyla is back in action